Walt Disney said, “There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate’s loot on Treasure Island.” This is for all the parent in the world who is trying to make their kids read when the little ones are busy with their video games and TV. Let me give you an advice- throw that TV set out the window.
Now let’s continue with the list of non-aggressive ways to inspire your kids to read more.
- Set an example. As a parent, you should be the first one to initiate the practice. Children always follow their parents and the people around them so make sure you read so that they can follow in your footsteps.
- Make reading a daily habit for the kids. Set up a comfortable place with cushions and sit with them and spend an hour daily with them reading their favorite books.
- Improve your comprehensive skills. When you are reading your kids a book read it with passion and joy; no matter how many times you have read The Wizard of Oz read it with the same excitement every time so your child can enjoy the beautiful experience.
- Under the problem. If your children are reluctant to make sure you understand their problem, ask them why they don’t want to read, are they having any problem? Help them solve their problems.
- Make books available. Build a beautiful bookshelf and fill it with books so your kids find it interesting to check them out. Use books as birthday presents and have a lot of them lying around.
- Don’t make it a punishment. Don’t force them to read anything they don’t want to. Reading is supposed to be fun or it is useless. Just like reading, other things like outdoor games and video games are important too, so let them enjoy everything.
- Get some graphic novels for your children. They might not like reading fat books but they will definitely enjoy comics. I mean who doesn’t?
- Let your kids choose the books. Keep an eye on their favorite genres and authors and while buying books let them choose.
- Give them treats. Every time they finish a book give them something as a prize. This will motivate them to read more and the more they read them more they will want to read.
- Make reading useful. Show your children that reading can be useful. For example whenever they have any question ask them to find the answer in the pages or you yourself read it to them.
I am A computer geek, who loves finding answers for the problems faced by people on computers and solving them, I write about tech, I fix most of the problems that I come across and I also review smartphones and computers.
Follow me on Instagram for More. Lova ya <3